Franz Ortner Cello
Franz Ortner was born in Vienna, Austria into a family with a strong musical background. At the age of eleven his musical interests shifted from the piano more and more to the violoncello. In 1996 he was admitted to the cello class of Prof. Wolfgang Herzer (former principal cellist of the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra) at the University of Music, Vienna, where he concluded his cello studies with distinction in 2004. Then he spent four years in Berlin, where he continued his studies at the University of Fine Arts with Prof. Wolfgang Boettcher, Martin Löhr (Trio Jean Paul), Tabea Zimmermann and the „Artemis“ Quartett.
Franz Ortner is prize winner of the International Brahms Competition 2004 and the „Gradus ad Parnassum“ Cello Competition in 2005.
In 2006 and 2007 he was recipient of a stipend of the Lucerne Festival Academy directed by Pierre Boulez.
From 2006-2008 he was the principal cellist of the Lisbon Metropolitan Orchestra (Portugal), from 2009-2014 he held the position of first cellist of the Esbjerg Ensemble in Denmark. With the Esbjerg Ensemble Franz Ortner has recorded the cello concerto by Peter Maxwell Davies under the direction of the composer for the Danish Radio in 2009. Currently he is a member of the Musikkollegium Winterthur.
Franz Ortner is frequently invited to play as principal with Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra (UK), Orchestre Le Concert Olympique (Belgium), the Mahler Chamber Orchestra and the Chamber Orchestra of Europe.
In 2010 Franz Ortner released a CD with French pianist Caroline Boirot comprising works of Brahms, Fuchs, Kirchner and Schumann for the French Label Lyrinx.
In 2011 he recorded a live-CD featuring Antonin Dvořák’s cello concerto with the Kammerorchester Niederösterreich (Austria).
As a soloist he has recently appeared with the Chamber Orchestra Miskolc (Hungary), the Philharmonie Bad Reichenhall (Germany) and the Kammerorchester Rheinland-Pfalz (Germany). In 2013 he made his debut with the Estonian National Symphony Orchestra.
Franz Ortner plays a cello of Jean-Baptiste Vuillaume, Paris, 1856.